Rockville, Md. – Abt Global will continue its work with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) supporting the vital need for up-to-date information on toxic chemical management and pollution prevention opportunities. The EPA’s Office of Pollution Prevention and Toxics (OPPT) awarded an Abt-led team a new indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity (IDIQ) contract to provide comprehensive support for efforts to address potential exposure to contaminants. OPPT’s mission is to protect human health and the environment by evaluating new and existing chemicals for their risks and identifying ways to prevent or reduce toxic chemical pollution.
Through this new five-year, $100 million IDIQ contract, Abt expects to:
- Help EPA implement the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), ensuring statutory requirements and mandatory deadlines are met and will withstand legal scrutiny.
- Ensure citizens and other stakeholders are informed about potential chemical exposures and environmental releases through continued communications support.
- Support OPPT’s chemical safety and pollution prevention efforts, which have received expanded funding from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law.
- Integrate equity and environmental justice as a central component of programmatic efforts and activities.
- Address EPA priorities, such as managing emerging contaminants like per-and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) and integrating cumulative risk assessments into TSCA activities.
“Although pollution prevention and management of toxic substances work has long been a focus of EPA— as seen in new and updated legislation in recent years—this work will provide critical support for EPA to remain vigilant in protecting human health and the environment from exposure to toxic chemicals, especially among historically disadvantaged communities,” said project director Alice Tome.
Abt will lead a multidisciplinary team that includes a strong representation of small and disadvantaged businesses.
For more than 30 years, Abt has supported OPPT through a broad range of expertise and data-driven solutions in exposure assessment and prevention, such as economic analyses of lead and asbestos regulations, outreach and communications for EPA’s Safer Choice program, and online visualization tools to help illustrate toxic chemical release data. Through environmental and demographic data and analytic tools and methods, Abt provides insights for decision-makers and the public to understand how communities are impacted by toxic substances and pollutants—as well as rigorous regulatory support services to develop, monitor, and uphold policy.
About Abt Global
Abt Global is a global consulting and research firm that combines data and bold thinking to improve the quality of people's lives. We partner with clients and communities to advance equity and innovation—from creating scalable digital solutions and combatting infectious disease, to mitigating climate change and evaluating programs for measurable social impact. https://www.abtglobal.com