Enabling Evidence-Informed Donor Decision-Making in Nepal
- Supports the UK government to better use knowledge and evidence for decision making.
- Promotes a “big picture” view of the development portfolio to help leadership align with higher-level strategies.
- Fosters a learning culture to support portfolio interventions for systems strengthening.
Foreign aid delivery is often siloed within narrow sectors or individual programmes, leading to a dearth of evidence about the aggregate effectiveness of aid. The British Embassy Kathmandu (BEK) supports Nepal in a range of thematic areas, including governance, social service delivery, climate change, and humanitarian response. The ‘big picture’ portfolio-level understanding of all development projects is key to align all interventions with the higher-level strategy and the country’s development priorities. This ensures internal coherence across the Embassy and external coherence given other international donor-supported programmes.
Abt supports BEK by working with senior leaders and wider programme staff and partners in three areas:
- Aligning programme-level monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) to maximise the aggregate and additive value of MEL data already collected by programmes.
- Synthesising evidence and creating new knowledge products, tools, and insights that respond to portfolio-level questions by mining evidence and data from existing programmes.
- Strategic learning by facilitating establishment of effective learning systems and processes for shared learning and improved decision-making.
- Facilitated learning spaces and provided evidence to support strategic decision making about design and the implementation of the portfolio to achieve Embassy-wide outcomes.
- Improved systems and processes to generate better quality evidence or lessons.
- Generated wide range of knowledge products, including technical assistance analysis using a systems-change diagnostic tool, synthesis of lessons from annual reviews, synthesis of lessons from programme completion reviews, a data visualization system, and stakeholder engagement analysis.
- Produced evidence about the live portfolio to identify patterns that contribute to wider portfolio-level objectives.